- 26% of Americans surveyed say lack of health insurance understanding caused them to receive a higher-than-expected medical bill.
- 41% were unable to correctly answer what “in-network” means. Understanding the meaning of in-network is crucial when choosing where to receive treatment and avoiding paying excessive fees for medical services when going out of network. Most health plans do not cover out-of-network care.
- 59% don’t understand that low-deductible health insurance plans start paying out sooner than high-deductible health plans (HDHPs).
- 22% incorrectly believe that if they think their medical expenses will be low in the coming year, they should choose a low-deductible plan.
- 43% of those surveyed could correctly identify what a health savings account is, and 20% could not describe a single feature of these tax-advantage accounts.