How does balance billing happen?Balance billing often results in a surprise medical bill, received after the services are rendered. It’s especially common when:
- A patient doesn’t ask about actual medical costs at the time of service.
- A patient accidentally receives services from an out-of-network provider.
- A patient receives a service not covered under their plan.
- They bring in an out-of-network radiologist;
- They use an out-of-network laboratory;
- They hire an out-of-network anesthesiologist; or
- They bring in an out-of-network consultant.